English Made Easy

Every night, the daily notes will be posted in case you miss a day or just need some catch up. Links are at the bottom of the page and if you have questions or need help, leave a comment or contact me and I will try my best!

Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Types of sentences 9/12/11

Simple Sentence:
a sentence with ONE independent clause
For example: I ran to the store
the can also have compound subjects, and/or compound verbs
For instance: I ran and jumped. OR Grant and I ran and jumped.

Compound sentence:
a sentence with TWO independent clauses and a coordinating conjunction (coordinating conjunctions include For, And, Nor, But, Or, Yet, So and can be remembered by the acronym: FANBOYS)
For example: Grant ran and I jumped.

Complex sentence:
a sentence with ONE independent clause and at least one dependent clause.
For example: Although Grant and I ran and jumped, we did not visit the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment